Sunday 11 January 2015

Giving up the slug

So it's January and I've been a slug. A big, fat, lazy, smelly, slug queen. 

I'm sure a lot of you out there can relate this time of year? I know it's a cliché to make the news years resolution to go to the gym more and be healthier. I hate it when I tell people that I've started back at the gym because I know exactly what they're thinking when I do "oh right, she'll have quit by February" it's true that we all have that judgement when we hear people say "new year, new me" but I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to positively change. Even if you fall off the bandwagon, you had the best intentions for yourself and you have the power to change if you really want to (this is starting to sound like a quitter's speech, bare with me) 

I didn't want to say that I failed myself, so I didn't make it my New Years resolution to go to the gym more or be healthier (sly cop out I know). The reason that I started back at the gym was because I started to hate my body. Now that is a very serious thing to say, I had low self esteem but I didn't necessarily have a serious body image problem that effected my life as a lot of girls unfortunately do. I have always felt very comfortable in my body, pretty and sometimes even sexy, but recently that confidence has gone.

It's safe to say that I've had a very indulgent couple of months. I've had a series of 21st birthday parties (including my own) which resulted in drinking, drinking, and more drinking, meals left right and centre, weekends away, takeaways, you name it, I have treated myself more than any person should and what's worse is that I did all of this with absolutely no exercise. Not even a walk to the shops, I drove to work and back everyday where I sat at a desk, snacking and letting my body fester, and when I wasn't working, I was eating and/or drinking, lazing around like a sloth. I was just beginning to realise that I had put on a bit of weight, oh and then Christmas came. Well that intensified the situation, nights out, meals meals and more meals, quality street, buffets everywhere, chocolates in everything, "oh so and so has bought us some sweets in cos it's Christmas", the bloody Christmas wine raffle at work, and let's not leave out the monstrosity that was Christmas dinner (not to mention the mini buffet me and my boyfriend had that evening). Going back to work after the festive period, my skin was disgusting and my work trousers were noticeably tight. That was the moment I realised. I have had enough. The slug queen would like give up the throne please. 

I've started back at the gym, doing an actual routine and not just going on the treadmill for 15 minutes and then calling it a day. I've also started doing yoga at home (I'm sure a lot of you have heard of yoga with Adriene on YouTube, but if not I would highly recommend you check out her channel) 

I honestly do feel fantastic. I admit I'm still not in the best of shape yet, but I'm confident that I'll get back to the place where I loved my body in good time. Don't be scared of being a January gym girl, you're not alone and you have the ability to keep going and not give up. 

Lots of love and good luck!

Check out my motivation board on Pinterest for tips and fun workout routines -
http://pinterest.com/clavcakes/motivation/

No comments:

Post a Comment